Friday 6 November 2009

The Elusive Charms of London

Surely I'm going to miss London. It's the place so many people seem to want to be. But that's half the problem. So many of them are here it's no longer all that pleasant. But I gather Australia hasn't got automated self-service checkouts yet, so I will definitely miss the 'Unexpected item in the bagging area' refrain. I had actually thought of trying to write a chick lit novel with that title - about someone who gets unexpectedly pregnant, obviously - but I gather the phrase only has any meaning in this country. And anyway I don't like chick lit.

2 comments:

  1. So, you have a blog ... it wasn't linked on your name when you commented so I didn't realise at first. Anyhow, I will enjoy pottering around here.

    BTW, there are a few self-service checkouts around the place - but maybe you are discovered that now. At least we have a few here in Canberra and I saw some in Darwin too when I was there recently. So, you may not have had to miss this refrain after all! Must say it drives me up the wall the way it tells me I can use my own bag but whenever I do it complains! Love your idea for a chicklit novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Whispering - I have discovered them and, like so many things, they seem to work much more efficiently here than there.

    ReplyDelete